Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sausage Pasta

Howdy friends!  This meal I made the other day and it was very yummy!  I originally got the recipe from allrecipes.com (I seem to use the website a lot!).
First thing's first: I chopped 1 small onion and minced 4 cloves of garlic and set that aside and then I cooked 3/4 pound of pasta in boiling water for about 10 minutes until al dente.  I drained that and set it aside, as well.
In a large skillet I heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cooked 1 pound of Italian sausage until it was no longer pink.  Then I added the onion and garlic and cooked that for about 5 minutes.  Once that was cooked, I added 1 can of chicken broth, 1 teaspoon of basil and 1 can of diced tomatoes with the liquid.  I let it cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to reduce the liquid somewhat.  Then I added 10 ounces of frozen, chopped spinach to the mixture, covered it and let it simmer on reduced heat until it cooked the spinach tender.
Once that was heated through, I added the cooked pasta to the mix and voila!  Dinner was served!  The recipe originally called for Parmesan cheese to be on top but I seem to have a hard time finding non-dairy Parmesan cheese so I just omitted it on my dish, but add it to yours and tell me how it was!  This was STILL delicious without it!
The recipe made 6 servings and, with the cheese, was 418 calories.  It was also only $1.14/serving!  Yowza!
Here's the recipe!

3/4 pound pasta (I used Penne)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment