Sunday, January 13, 2013

Italian Crescent Casserole

Hello fellow foodie friends and thank you for coming back for another edition of Mama Feta's Meals, woo!  This meal I made a few days ago was very simple and delicious.  I was told, in fact, by my oldest son that I needed to make this meal for every day after that and that each person, next time, should get their own 'pie' haha!  It was really good!
So first thing's first: I preheat my oven to 375 degrees and started to brown 1 pound of ground turkey (recipe called for ground beef but you all know how this family is!).  While the turkey was browning and the oven was preheating, I opened a can of refrigerated crescent rolls and separated the dough into 8 triangles, laying it in a spoke pattern in a pie plate.  The narrow ends of the triangles overlapped the pie plate and the remaining dough inside I pressed to form a crust.
Once that was done I finished cooking the meat and added 1 cup of pasta sauce (I used garlic and herb but I think any flavor you'd like would work), letting it heat to boiling over medium-high heat.
When that finished warming, I added 1 cup of mozzarella cheese (with our youngest having a dairy allergy, we used the Veggie Shreds brand) to the bottom of the prepared crust, and then added the meat/pasta sauce mixture.  Then I brought in the edges of the dough over the meat and topped it all with an additional 1/2 cup of cheese and 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano.
I let that cook for 20 minutes and, once I cut it, voila!  Dinner was served!!
 The meal said it made 6 servings but I actually cut it into 8 so everyone was able to get a second smaller piece.  Apparently that still wasn't enough haha!  The meal was 390 calories and only $1.30/serving (this is all based off of the 6 servings.  Depending on whether your family is as hungry as mine, you may want to make two pies to appease everyone!
Here's the recipe!

1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained (or whichever type of meat you prefer!)
1 cup pasta sauce (the recipe called for basil and garlic)
1 can (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (6 ounces) (I used mozzarella Veggie Shreds for our family)
1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves (I didn't have any basil so I used oregano, it was still good!)

Happy cooking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment