Thursday, January 3, 2013

Chili Casserole

WOW, HELLOOOOOOOOO cooking world!  It has been forEVER since I was last on here, and I apologize to the few people that actually read this blog!  :)  Life happened, as it always does, but I'm insistent that I will start this back up again!  Count on it!
So today's meal that I made was really very easy had I actually READ the recipe (I had a minor issue, read on for more details!).  I originally found this recipe on All Recipes, but had to change a few things based on the family preferences.  Those of you that read this know that this family LOVES its ground turkey!
So, first thing's first: So the first thing I did was chop the onions (1/2 cup), as I had, WRONGLY, assumed that would've been all of the prep involved.  I measured out the macaroni (1/2 pound) and put it into a mixing bowl along with 1 15 ounce can of chili with beans and 1 15 ounce can of sweet corn, which I drained.
At this point I realized I wasn't going to be able to just DUMP the ground turkey (1/2 pound) into the bowl, so I browned it in a skillet.  It was also at this point that I realized my macaroni was supposed to be COOKED prior to mixing.  Oh yeah, so an additional 15 minutes of my cooking time was spent digging through all of the chili/corn mixture nonsense to fish out the dry macaroni to be able to cook it.  Clearly I'm rusty at this from being gone for so long, so bare with me!  :)
Once the ground turkey and macaroni was cooked (and drained!), I added that to the bowl, along with 2 tablespoons of hot sauce (I used red hot, but use your preference), the onions, 1 tablespoon of chili seasoning mix and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese!  Due to my son's dairy allergy, however, we used Veggie Shreds instead of actual mozzarella cheese, which really tastes exactly the same, to me anyway.
Once that was mixed well, I put it into a 9x13 inch baking dish and put it into my oven at  300 degrees for 20 minutes.  After that, voila!  Dinner was served!!!  It was filling and perfectly warm during these cold months!  Also, as my husband said, he loves pasta and beans mixed together and this was really delicious mixed together.
Even with the higher priced Veggie Shreds, it still broke down to only $2.18/serving!  WHAT?!?  I know!  With 6 servings per meal, that's pretty amazing.
Since I'm trying to start this back up, I only took a final picture, but I promise the more I do, the more time I will designate and take more photos!  :)
For some odd reason, using ground turkey and Veggie Shreds instead of the listed items actually raised the caloric value to 360 instead of the 324 calories listed on the recipe.  Obviously, if you choose to change things up that will change your caloric value, as well.

I hope everyone enjoyed my first recipe back, I know the fam did!  Here's the recipe!

1/2 pound macaroni, cooked
1 (15 ounce) can chili with beans
1 (15 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
1/2 pound ground beef (or turkey!), browned and drained
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon chili seasoning mix
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment