Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Fried Saimin (Fried Noodles)

Hello again everyone!  This is one of my favorite, easy go-to meals when I'm blanking on what to make for dinner.  For all of us from Hawaii, we call this fried saimin, but for everyone else going 'what the heck is saimin?' it is basically fried noodles.  Simple yet delicious!  Plus anyone that has read this blog before knows that I love showing the many versatile ways of being able to use ramen noddles.  :)
The hardest part of making this meal is the prep, and I'm being facetious when I say it's the 'hard' part.  This is really a no nonsense meal.
For me, it's easiest to get everything chopped up and cooked first.  I usually like to make this when I have some form of meat leftover from another meal and don't know what else do with it.  The meat in this meal, for example, was a teriyaki chicken we had from a few days prior.
So first thing's first, I diced the chicken, as well as some onions and green onions (I love both types of onions in my fried saimin, it just adds that extra crunch to the meal that I love).  Then I scrambled some eggs, seasoning it only with salt and pepper (you can certainly add your own seasoning, but I find the season packets in the ramen noddles are salty enough as it is to where there really isn't much need to add too much seasoning to the eggs).   I set those aside and then boiled the noodles according to the package and drained the water once I was done.
The frying part is the most fun for me, I have no idea why haha!  I usually spray a saute pan with cooking spray and throw all of the goodies in first (chicken, eggs, onions), and let that cook for 1-3 minutes, depending on your preference for how crunchy you want the onions.  Then I add the noodles, sprinkle one sauce packet on top, along with some pepper and soy sauce, and stir it up to let it cook for about another 1-2 minutes.  If there's more of you that you're cooking for, as there are for me, then once the noodles have cooked for a minute or two is when I add the additional sauce packets, pepper and soy sauce.  I usually eyeball the pepper and soy sauce, but I would say it's not more than 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon added each time.
Then voila!  Dinner is served!
This meal was a little higher in calories due to using the ramen noodles.  Normally I like to use the frozen brand, however, the CVS I usually buy them from had their coolers malfunction and they weren't available!  The dried ramen noodles work in a pinch, they're just a bit more calorie-wise.
This meal was 547 calories/serving and only $1.08/serving!  Seriously, this is why I will always love using ramen noodles :)
Here's the recipe!

Package ramen noodles (however many you need per family member)
White onions (diced and however much you prefer, I use about 1/4-1/3 cup)
Green onions (diced, also about 1/4-1/3 cup)
Scrambled eggs (I usually do 1 per family member)
Meat of your choice

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment