Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cheeseburger Tacos

Oh my goodness, how I love this meal!  I love it so much I made it twice within a week (I know, I'm going against my whole 'different meal for every day' but I don't care!  This meal had two of my favorite things in one dish: cheeseburgers and tacos.
Do you want to hear the best part about this meal, because I'm ready to tell it to you!  It was only 220 calories for two tacos...WHAT?!?  I know, right?!?
This meal was simple, pretty and DELICIOUS!  I found the original recipe in my Pillsbury Savvy Shopper's Cookbook (I love this cookbook!).
So first thing's first: I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and then started to cook the ground turkey.  While that was cooking, I put 12 taco shells on a cookie sheet and lined them each with a slice of American cheese.  I let those shells bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes while I finished up the turkey.
Once the ground turkey was done cooking, about 5-7 minutes, I added 1 cup of some delicious SALSA CON QUESO dip and cooked that until heated through.
While all of that was finishing up, I tore off some lettuce leaves and sliced a tomato.  Putting it together was fun (I tell you, I get a kick out of the smallest things).  I put some of the meat mixture into the taco shell and then topped it with the lettuce leaves, tomato slices and the salsa and voila!  Dinner was served!  The family all have different preferences on what salsa they like, so the image above doesn't show the salsa as I usually let everyone pick their own!  :)
As I said, the meal was so low in calories (220 for two, what?!?), that I was also able to put some black beans on the side.  MMMMMMMMMM.  Also, I seriously feel like I've done my math wrong, however, this meal came out to $0.94/serving!  WHAT?!?  I know, right?  With the beans, it adds up to $1.10/serving.  I CAN'T STAND THIS, IT'S SO AWESOME!  :)
Here's the recipe!

1 box (4.6oz) Taco Shells (12 shells)
12 slices American cheese
1 pound Ground Turkey (the recipe called for Lean Ground Beef but use your preference!)
1 cup Salsa Con Queso
12 Lettuce Leaves
12 Tomato Slices
3/4 Cup Chunky-Style Salsa

Happy cooking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment