Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dr. Pepper Chili

You heard me right...Dr....Pepper...Chili.  This was sooooooooo delicious!
Oh, hello all, by the way!  Sorry for the bit of delay in a new blog.  This past week was my sister's birthday, which ended up turning in my sister's birthday week, so I didn't actually cook very much as we were eating at my parents house or going out.  I'm not complaining but I did severely leave you all hanging and for that, I give my sincerest apologies!  :)
So I actually originally got this recipe from a Twitter post from my husband's company he works for, Camden, which linked to their Pinterest.  I always like recipes that use a unique ingredient or two and I was intrigued!
So, first thing's first: I diced 1 medium red onion (the recipe called for a yellow onion, but I like to use red in chili recipes) and minced 2 cloves of garlic.  The recipe then called to saute the onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, however, I was trying to cut down on the calories to stick within my 500 calorie limit so I used some cooking spray to coat the bottom of a Dutch oven and sauteed the onions on garlic until they started to soften.  Once there I added 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt and chili powder, 2 Chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (which I had previously chopped) and 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce.  I mixed that together and let it cook for about a minute.
After that warmed, I added 1 pound of extra-lean ground beef (the recipe called for lean) and let that cook in the mixture until it was browned and cooked.  Once that was cooked, I added 12 ounces of Dr. Pepper to the mixture and cooked it until the liquid reduced to about half, which took about 10 minutes or so.
After that I added 28 ounces (1 large can) of whole peeled tomatoes that I had coarsely sliced in the can beforehand, 14.5 ounces of fire-roasted diced tomatoes (1 can) and 8 ounces of tomato sauce (1 can).  Once those were mixed well I let that simmer for about 20 minutes.  I noticed the original recipe stated it was to go for about 30 minutes to thicken, however, mine hadn't gotten close and, once I actually added the final ingredient (1 can/15.5 ounces of kidney beans that were drained) that actually helped it to thicken, as well as once I turned the heat off.
Then voila!  Dinner was served!  The original recipe was fairly high in calories when I calculated it so, after trying to minimize things, I was able to get 6 servings out of this meal for only 209 calories per serving!  It was so low I let everyone use some Frito's Scoops! to eat their chili with, as what chili isn't delicious eaten off of a chip of some kind?  :)  The meal was also only $1.40/serving, whoa!!
Here's the (original) recipe, make changes as you see fit!

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce
1 pound lean ground beef
1 can Dr. Pepper (12 ounces)
1 can whole peeled tomatoes (28 ounces)
1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
1 can kidney beans (15.5 ounces)

Happy cooking everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment