Friday, February 22, 2013

Spicy Chinese Chicken Tacos


Hello friends!  So this recipe came from a couple of different sources that I spliced together.  The meal itself was originally from Pillsbury AND I baked my own taco shells, which I got from Eating Well.  I know this picture isn't the best but just DEAL with it.  :)  I'm kidding, I'm not entirely sure why these didn't photograph well but they were WAY delicious, I promise!
I made this meal on the weekend when I had more free time to actually make the shells.  I think if it was a weekday with work and school I'd probably use the store bought kind, or even bake the shells ahead, but you can choose to do what you like!
So the FIRST thing I did was make my taco shells.  This was actually kind of fun (clearly my idea of fun doesn't require much, right??).
Preheating the oven is a must, so I did that (yay me!) at 375 degrees and went about finishing the taco shell prep.  I got a dish towel and dampened it and then, with 6 white corn tortillas at a time, folded them into the towel and put them in the microwave for 30 seconds.  This is to steam it so it won't crack when you try to shape them (seriously, what is it about corn tortillas that they always crack?  Fight the sadness, Artex!).  ANYWAY, once those were steamed, I sprayed each of them individually (both sides) with cooking spray.  Then I draped each of the tortillas over two bars of my oven rack and cooked them all for 10 minutes (the recipe said 7-10 but I found the tortillas seemed a bit soft still with being cooked any other time besides 10 minutes).  If you like your taco shells super crispy, try cooking it a bit longer and let me know how it goes!
Once those were done, I set them aside on a plate and went to cooking the rest of the meal.  I took 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them into thin strips and set those aside (wash hands before and after!!).  I grated 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger, minced 1 clove of garlic, sliced one green onion and chopped 1 1/2 cups of lettuce and set THOSE aside.  Then sprayed a skillet with cooking spray and heat it over medium-high heat.  Once heated, I added the sliced chicken, the fresh ginger and the garlic and let it cook for about 5 minutes, until everything was lightly browned,  Once that was done, I reduced the heat to low, added 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (my favorite brand is Aloha Shoyu because it's what I grew up on and tastes WAY less salty than all the other brands), 1 tablespoon of honey, the green onions and 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.  I stirred and covered it and let it cook another 5 minutes.  Once that was all yummy and cooked, I put about 1/4 cup of the mixture into each taco shell and topped it with the lettuce and voila!!  Dinner was served!
The meal was only 180 calories/serving (a serving was TWO tacos!!) AND only $0.98/serving!!!  Seriously!  I'm pretty sure it had to do with buying the tortillas and making my taco shells, so if you have time to do that, I highly recommend it.
Here's the recipe!!

12 corn tortillas
cooking spray
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 small garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 large green onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment