Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pizza Joes


Hello again!  Oh yeah, it's a Valentine's EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!  This was the meal I made the night before Valentine's day and wanted to make it a little festive, so I used my silicone cupcake liners as ketchup holders, as you can see!  Nifty, huh?
So this recipe I originally found on Betty Crocker and changed just a bit for our family!!  It stated it was for 8 servings but I cut the recipe in half to only do four, as there are only four of us!  :)
So first thing's first: I coarsely chopped 1/2 cup of onion as well as 1/2 of a green bell pepper and set that aside while I heat a skillet over medium-high heat.  Then I cooked 1/2 pound of extra-lean ground beef, along with the onion and bell pepper, about 7-9 minutes.
In the original recipe, it called for pizza sauce but, for me, to save money I just always use pasta sauce.  It's tastes the same, for me anyway, and is WAY cheaper.  So here I added in 1 cup of pasta sauce (the recipe also did NOT notate to drain the beef, so I didn't.  There wasn't much to drain anyway), reduced the heat to medium and let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes, uncovered.  While that was heating through, I toasted 4 hamburger buns and then put the meat mixture on each bun, splitting 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese (Veggie Shreds for our youngest!) to top each sandwich and voila!!  Dinner was served!  Each sandwich was only 290 calories/sandwich so, as you can see, I also did a side of fries (the fries were 120 calories/serving, so total the meal was STILL under my 500 calorie limit!).  Minus the fries, it was also only $1.16/serving, $1.54 if you decided you wanted to add the fries!  I know, right?!  This is why I LOVE Winco!!
Here's the full serving recipe!

1 pound extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
1 large onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
2 cups pizza sauce
8 hamburger buns, split, toasted
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment