Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Crunchy Taco Burritos

Hi!  How's everyone this fine evening?  The weather?  I feel like Punxsutawney Phil lied to all of us, as one of my good friend's young son told her the other day when we continued to have cold weather.  Love my dose of Ty-ism's!  :)
So this meal I made in an enormous rush one night as my husband had taken himself and our boys to get some haircuts at our friends' house.  I actually ended up having a dead battery after work and my husband had to rush over right quick to give me a jump so even I was late coming home!  Luckily, rushing through this it still managed to be delicious, but I will definitely like to spend the time needed next time.  :)
So this recipe I originally got this recipe from Pillsbury (my new favorite place for looking up recipes!) and, as usual, changed it to suit my family!
First thing's first: I browned 1 pound of extra lean ground beef (I KNOW, did you guys notice we've started actually using ground beef??  I mean, it's still the extra-lean kind, but we're shying away from ground turkey a bit.  With my husband and I working out fairly consistently now, he especially requires a ton of protein!) over medium-high heat and then drained the little bit there was in there that needed to be drained.  Once I had done that, I added 1 cup (each) of water and milk (soy milk for the little guy!), as well as the sauce packet from a box of Crunchy Taco flavored Hamburger Helper, mixed and then heat that until it was boiling.  Once that started ti boil, I put in the package included of uncooked rice.
Now here is where I had to rush a bit, because I had gotten home later and my boys were all on their way.  It said to reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, but I knew with everyone coming home soon, and starving from what I was told, I needed the food ready.  So I kept the heat high and uncovered and cooked it for a shorter amount of time (I don't suggest doing this!), about 15 minutes or so.  The rice, for the most part, still managed to be tender, but the slower cooking extra time, I'm sure, would've done wonders.  However, later when everyone was eating it, no one but me seemed to notice, they all really loved it, so I guess it was good.  :)  Considering my husband completely despises Hamburger Helper meals in general, I know it was good when he's 'mmm'ing at the meal.
While that was cooking on medium-high heat (and while I was occasionally stirring it), I took a small bowl and stirred another 1/3 cup of soy milk with the topping mix package from the Hamburger Helper for about 30 seconds and then set it aside.  I also slightly crushed the package of corn chips in its package and set that aside as well.
Once I was done cooking everything, I heat a package of 8-inch tortillas in the microwave for about 45 seconds and spooned 1/3 of the beef mixture down each of the tortillas (on the recipe, it states that it should be able to make 12 burritos, however, putting 1/3 of the mixture in each tortilla only allowed me to make 8 of them.  I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the fact that I hadn't cooked it the way the recipe called for, but it was short.  Luckily there are only 4 of us, so it worked out perfectly!), and then I drizzled the cheese sauce over all of them, topping each with some green onions, chopped tomatoes and the crushed corn chips.
I used my awesome Taco Bell skills from my teen years to professionally fold up those bad boy burritos and voila!!  Dinner was served!!  For TWO burritos (oh yeah, you get two of that awesomeness), the caloric value was 470/serving  (like last time, I'm sure using a leaner ground beef made the calories lower, but I didn't take the time to figure it out.  No biggie!).  As I stated earlier, it said it was a six serving meal but I had only managed to get 4 servings out of it.  Either way, it was still YUMMY, AND was only $1.62/serving!  WHAAAAAAAT!  Seriously, I know...
Here's the recipe!!!!!!!

1 pound lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 box Hamburger Helper Crunchy Taco
1/3 cup milk
12 flour tortillas (8 inch)
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1 large tomato, chopped

Happy cooking everyone!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment