Saturday, July 14, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Casserole

All right friends, MAJOR apologies for my lack in doing this blog.  I looked back today and realized it has been over a month...what?!?!  Things have been hectic, both good and bad, and I intend not to let it stop me from blogging again.
So for this meal I made the other day, it was easily a family favorite because, of course, it was buffalo chicken.  Anything to do with buffalo chicken in this house seems to be the request at any time!  It sounded really interesting so I decided to try it!
I originally got this recipe from Betty Crocker.  So first thing's first: I cooked 1/2 cup of rice in my rice cooker with 1 cup of water.  Since that usually takes about 19 minutes or so, I started prepping the other items.  I took 1 pound of chicken breasts and cut them into thin strips, as well as sliced 1 cup of celery. I added 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a preheated skillet and added the chicken and celery, allowing it to cook for about 5-7 minutes.
Once the chicken was no longer pink, I removed the mixture from the heat and added 1 can of stewed tomatoes, as well as 1/2 cup of buffalo wing sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot but, let's be honest, is there really any other brand worth using? ;)).  I also had sprayed a baking dish with cooking spray and added the rice to it.  Once I had the chicken mixture mixed well, I topped the rice with it and put it into the preheated oven, cooking it for about 30 minutes.
When it was cooked all the way through, I drizzled 1/4 cup of blue cheese dressing to the top of the meal and voila!  Dinner was served!
Everyone really loved it and myself and my husband were actually surprised because we normally don't like blue cheese.  With such a small amount mixed in with everything else, it ended up tasting like ranch dressing and we enjoyed it very much.  It was a very good, filling, hearty meal for only 380 calories for a 1 1/2 cup serving!  It was also only $2.03/serving!  Yum!
Here's the recipe!

1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1 cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 cup thinly sliced celery stalks
1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
1/4 cup blue cheese dressing

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment