Thursday, July 19, 2012

Salsa Chicken Soup

Hello my fine-feathered friends!  This last week's weather here has been amazing!  Rain, thunderstorms, and no more than 80-90 degrees all day; it was really beautiful.  So since it cooled down a bit in this desert heat, I decided to make a delicious soup!  It was so easy, hearty and low in calories!
First thing's first: I cubed 1/2 pound of chicken breasts and set that aside while I went to start the soup base.  Then, in my large saucepan, I added 1-14.5 ounce can of chicken broth, 1 3/4 cups of water, 2 teaspoons of chili powder and the cooked chicken and set it to boil.
Once that boiled, I reduced the heat, covered it and simmered for about 5 minutes.  After that I added 1 cup of frozen corn and then I boiled it again, uncovered, for another 5 minutes.  Finally, I added 1 cup of salsa and heat it through.
Then I served them in soup bowls, topped it with some shredded Monterey Jack cheese and voila!  Dinner was served!
The meal was so low in calories (only 84 calories/serving!) that I was able to serve the soup with a side of chips and salsa, which was delicious!  The meal was also only $2.14/serving.  This was such a quick and easy meal, and so yummy, as well!
Here's the recipe!

1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
1 3/4 cups water
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup salsa
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment