Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew

Happy new year all!  What a crazy holiday schedule it has been for me, so I apologize for the lack of food, as I still have so much to catch up on!
So this one I made quite a while ago, but I still remember how easy and delicious it was!  First thing's first: I took a pork loin roast and cut it into 2-inch pieces and seasoned those pieces with salt and pepper.  Then I heat a skillet on high heat, sprayed it with cooking spray and browned the pork, allowing it to cook for about 3-4 minutes.  I then sprinkled 1 tablespoon of flour over the pork and cooked it for another 30 seconds.
Once that was done, I put the pork into the slow cooker, along with the following ingredients: diced onion, 2 cans of diced green chilies, chopped jalapenos, 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, chicken broth cumin and garlic powder.  I mixed the ingredients together, set my slow cooked to low and let it cook for 8 hours on low.
When it was completed, I seasoned the meal with salt and pepper, served it over some rice and voila!  Dinner was served!
This meal was easy, delicious and made 6 servings at only 253 calories per serving!  It was so low, that's why I chose to make it over rice, which added only 50 more calories anyway!  It was also only $2.12/serving!  Yay!
Here's the recipe:

2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray
2 tablespoons all -purpose flour
3/4 cup diced onion
2 cans (4.25 oz) diced green chilies
2 tablespoons chopped jalapenos
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies
1/2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Happy cooking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment