Thursday, January 23, 2014

Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli

OH...MA...GAWD!!!!  Okay listen, I don't always get to go to Olive Garden but I'm all about the soup, salad and bread sticks when I go and my soup du jour is always the pasta e fagioli...I loooooove that stuff!  My mom even makes an amazing one with sausage instead of ground beef and it is DEEEEEEElicious!
Anywho, color me excited when I realized I could make one myself AND make it in the slow cooker!  The meal was a quick prep and a delicious eat!
First thing's first: I cooked some ground beef and chopped onion in a skillet until the meat was no longer pink, and then I drained it.  Once that was done, I put it into my slow cooker, adding in the following ingredients: chicken broth, diced tomatoes (canned and undrained), cannellini beans (canned, drained and rinsed), chopped carrots, cabbage, celery, minced garlic, dried basil and salt and pepper.
Once I mixed that together I set my slow cooker to low and allowed it to cook while I was at work, about 8 hours.  Then I stirred some ditalini pasta into the soup, turned the slow cooker to high and allowed it to cook for another half hour, to cook the pasta.  When that was done, voila!!  Dinner was served!!
This soup was warm and delicious and yummy!  The best part was it made 8 servings at only 258 calories/serving!  AAAAAAAAAAAND it was only $1.74/serving!  Whaaaaaaa???  I know!  Here's the recipe:

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
32 ounces chicken broth
2 (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 1/2 cups finely chopped cabbage
1 celery rib, chopped
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup ditalini pasta

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment