Friday, November 29, 2013

Tex-Mex Calzones with Black Bean Salad

Happy black Friday everyone!!  Although I'm not too sure how happy black Friday can be...I definitely made sure to avoid stores like the plague today!
Anyway, since it has been a while, I have quite a bit of meals stored up to send your way but fear not!  They will get to you all in due time!
This meal I maybe two weeks ago at the latest and yummmmmmmmmmy this was delicious!
First thing's first: I preheat my oven to 425 degrees and then started to cook my ground turkey while the oven was heating.  I let that cook about 3 minutes and then added some onion, red and green bell peppers, cumin, chili powder and some garlic cloves that I had minced earlier and allowed that to cook for another 4 minutes.  When that was done I removed it from the heat and added some salsa (woo!).
After I had cooked that, I unrolled a can of refrigerated pizza dough and cut them into 4 equal portions, rolling them into 6x4 inch rectangles.  I then put about 1/2 cup of the turkey mixture onto one side of each rectangle, topping the mixture with 2 tablespoons of Mexican blend cheese, and then folding the other half of the dough over and pressing the edges together and sealing it with a fork.
After those were assembled, I placed them on a baking sheet I had sprayed with cooking spray and put it into the preheated oven to bake for 12 minutes.
While that was baking, I assembled the black bean salad by combining the following: black beans that had been rinsed and drained, some quartered cherry tomatoes, some chopped red onion, some chopped celery, fresh lime juice and cilantro and some olive oil.  Then I tossed all of that to coat and put it in the fridge until my calzones were ready to serve.
Once the calzones were baked and browned, I cut them in half, served them with a dollop of sour cream and some of the black bean salad and VOILA!!!!!  Dinner was served!!!
This meal was easy but very delicious and filling.  The best part (I know this is what you wait for!) is that the calzones were only 416 calories aaaaaaand the black bean salad was only 90 calories!!!  So listen, I know this puts us over my usual 500 calories (we came in at a whopping 506 calories) but sometimes you have to splurge!  :P  This also was only $2.84/servings, and the meal made 4 yummy servings.  There were actually some black bean salad left over, so I think it made about 8 servings.
Here's the recipe:

Tex-Mex Calzones:
8 ounces ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
12 cup chopped red pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup fat-free fire-roasted salsa verde
1 (11 ounce) can refrigerated thin-crust pizza dough
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
Cooking spray
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream

Black Bean Salad:
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil

Happy cooking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment