Thursday, September 5, 2013

Baked Teriyaki Chicken with Frozen Vegetable Stir-Fry

HOLY DELICIOUSNESS!!!!  This chicken was so good my husband taps me on the arm afterwards, looks me seriously in the eye and says, "I love you so much right now."  Hahaha, but seriously, this was ridiculously delicious.
So first thing's first: I got a small saucepan and put cornstarch, cold water, white sugar, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, ground ginger and black pepper into it.  I mixed that well and put it over low heat, stirring often while it thickened.  While I was heating that, I also preheated my oven to 425 degrees, lightly spraying a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Once the sauce had thickened somewhat (I had cooked it for about 7-10 minutes), I placed my chicken breasts into the prepped baking dish and brushed the sauce over the chicken, turning it to coat the other side as well.  I then put it into my preheated oven and allowed it to cook for 30 minutes, brushing it with more sauce every 10 minutes.
When the 30 minutes were up, I flipped the chicken and let it cook for a final 30 minutes, making sure to brush it with additional sauce every 10 minutes as well.  During the last 15 minutes of the chicken, I started to cook the stir-fry.  First thing's first on that: I mixed soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and peanut butter in a small bowl.  Then I put some olive oil into a skillet, heating it over medium heat and adding a bag of frozen veggies once it had preheated.  I allowed that to cook for about 7-10 minutes, then added the pre-mixed sauce.  I served that with the chicken and VOILA!!!  Dinner was served!
All my boys FREAKED out over the chicken and my oldest actually tried to figure out what I had put into the veggies (their palettes are so defined!) and he was surprised to hear peanut butter.  It does sound weird but it was amazing.
The chicken made four servings at 272 calories/serving and veggies made 6 serving at 88/serving.  However, since this was such a low calorie meal, I split the veggies equally, so it was more like 1 1/2 servings at 132 calories, which STILL only came to 404 calories for the entire meal!  Yowza!!  The best part, of course, is that it was only $1.97/serving!  Whoop whoop!
Here's the recipe!!

Baked Teriyaki Chicken:
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Frozen Vegetable Stir-Fry:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons peanut butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 (16 ounces) package frozen mixed vegetables

Happy cooking everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment