Sunday, June 3, 2012

Lime-Jalapeno Chicken Upside Down Nachos

All right friends, last one for the night!  This one I actually started taking pictures later on in the process, so work with me!  :)  I had originally decided I didn't want to post this one, when it was just the Lime-Jalapeno Chicken.  However, when I saw how low the calories were just for the chicken, I decided to make something else with the chicken and that's how I got Lime-Jalapeno Chicken Upside Down Nachos!
So the first part, without the nachos, was an actual meal adapted from Eating Well.  First thing's first: I whisked some lime juice, canola oil, white vinegar, cumin and salt in a bowl, then added one jalapeno that I had sliced.  After that, I placed some chicken breasts into a glass baking dish, poured the liquid over the chicken and let it marinate during the day while I was at work.
Then, when I got home, I heat my grill pan over medium-high heat, spraying it with some cooking spray.  I added my chicken and cooked through until no longer pink.  Some pieces I had were larger than others, so overall it took about 8-10 minutes to grill.
While it was grilling, I started slicing some corn tortillas into small chips (cut it first in half, then cut the halves in half, and then cut those once more).  I placed them onto cookie sheets, spraying them with some cooking spray, and cooked them in my oven (preheated to 350 degrees) for about 10-12 minutes, just make sure to eyeball them so they don't burn on the bottoms.
Then I also chopped some tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, onions and green onions as toppings.  I also tried my best to make a cheese sauce.  It wasn't amazing, but it worked.  Unfortunately, I was having a bit of a difficult time with the cheese sauce, so I forgot to take photos of that!  However, I used about 1 1/3 cups of Mexican blend cheese and melted it with about 1/4 cup milk until the sauce was a bit liquid and stringy.  Next time I'll be trying something else, maybe a bit more liquid, but it was delicious!
Then I diced the chicken, put them on plates, and added the toppings as my family prefers (I always use the sour cream and Tapatio myself!).  I wanted to make sure the nachos were yummy so instead of piling them all on top of the chips, I decided to make a mixture and put the chips on the side, so each person got to basically 'dip' their chips.  It was pretty cool because not a one of us got a chip that wasn't full of toppings.  It was fun to eat and voila!  That's how we do dinner in this house!  :)
The meal, with the chips, was only 514 calories (this was based off of my nachos, which had tomatoes, cilantro, both onions and sour cream) and only $4.35/serving!  The meal made 4 servings and each serving included 32 homemade tortilla chips.  That's right, I totally counted them to make sure everyone had an even amount.  :)  Yum!
Here's the recipe!

For the Lime-Jalapeno Chicken:

1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 jalapeno, sliced
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts

For the Homemade Tortillas:

16 small corn tortillas, cut into triangles
cooking spray

For the Toppings:

Tomatoes, diced
Lettuce, diced
Onions, diced
Green Onions, diced
Cilantro, diced
Sour Cream
Any kind of cheese you prefer
Basically anything you want to put on top, just recalculate the calories if you change it!  :)

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment