Sunday, June 3, 2012

Asian Chicken & Noodle Skillet

Hello again, and here's another installment of Mama Feta's Meals!  Anytime I can use ramen noodles to make a delicious meal, I'm all for it!
So first thing's first: I took 2 pounds of chicken breasts and cut them into thin strips and then set those aside.  Then I sliced some carrots, a red bell pepper and some green onions, setting those aside, as well.
Then I took a small mixing bowl and mixed sesame oil and two seasoning packets from Oriental flavored ramen packages.  The recipe also called for Asian seasoning mix.  I gotta be honest with you, I had NO idea what that was (I know, I'm a terrible part Asian, leave me be!), so I just used my Chinese five spice, and it actually really worked well!  Once I mixed that, I added 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a skillet and added the chicken, cooking it for about 8-10 minutes, until it was done and the juices ran clear.
Once the chicken was cooked, I removed it (making sure to keep it warm) and added the carrots and bell peppers, cooking for about 2 minutes until it was tender/crisp.  Then I added 4 cups of water, as well as two additional season packets, to the skillet, loosening any brown bits that had stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Then I added the dry ramen noodles to the mix, as well as the white parts of the green onions, covering it and letting it simmer for about 5 minutes, checking it once or twice to make sure all sides of the noodles were softening.  Then I put the chicken back into the mixture, removed it from the heat and let is stand, covered, for about 4 minutes.
Then I garnished it with the rest of the green onions and voila!  Dinner was served!!
This meal was so good, and right up my husband's alley.  Like I said, I'm a terrible part Asian (I hardly ever make any Asian food, and, of course, it's his favorite!).  Seeing as this meal was so easy, I may have to work on getting more recipes in like this!
The meal was only 260 calories (the recipe made 6 servings) and was only $1.73/serving!  For real!
Here's the recipe!

2 medium carrots, peeled and julienned
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
5-6 green onion with tops, sliced
2 pounds chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons Chinese five spice
4 packages Oriental flavored ramen noodles
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 cups water

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment