Sunday, June 9, 2013

Black Bean Nacho Burgers

So this meal would be great for meatless Monday, as it was soooooooo delicious!!  I got the original recipe from the Fitness Magazine website.
Just as a heads up, there was a step on this recipe that I thought was something I could skip and I will tell you, make sure you do it!  So, first thing's first: I took a 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed, and added it to my food processor and blended it just slightly, to blend some but leave others whole.  Then I removed the mixture to a bowl, added 1/2 cup crushed blue tortilla chips, 1/3 cup salsa, 1/2 shredded cheddar cheese (we used the Lactose Free GO Veggie! brand for our youngest who has the dairy allergy), 1 egg (make sure it's lightly beaten beforehand), as well as one green onion, finely chopped, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.  I let it sit for 10 minutes before making 4 patties.
Now HERE is where I messed up!  By the time I had started making dinner, it was after work and later in the evening, so when it told me to put the patties in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes, or preferable overnight, I said no way, Jose!!  I didn't have time to wait, so I believe I only let it sit in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap, for about 15 minutes or so.  Make sure, if you choose to make this meal, to leave it for 30 minutes, or definitely overnight!  The reason being is that upon cooking the patties they basically fell apart.  The time it takes in the refrigerator will more than likely assist in the keeping the patties together when cooking, so DOOOOOOO ITTTTTTT!!!
Anyway, while the patties were in the fridge, I started to preheat my oven to 350 degrees and then heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil on a non-stick skillet.  I added the patties and allowed them to cook, about 5 minutes per side.  Also, while those were cooking, I put four hamburger buns onto a baking sheet and let them warm in the oven, about 5 minutes, and then removed them.
Now, like I mentioned, the patties started to fall apart, but I was still able to save them enough to make them somewhat visually appealing!  :)  When It was done cooking, I put a butter lettuce leaf on each bun, put the patties on top, and then topped each with a little bit more salsa and voila!!  Dinner was served!
I did make this meal quite a while ago, so I don't exactly remember what I served on the sides, but I believe it was my homemade chips and some extra salsa.  Either way, the burgers themselves were only 342 calories and $2.13/serving!  Yay!
Here's the recipe!!

1 - 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup finely crushed blue corn tortilla chips
1/3 cup salsa plus additional for serving
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 green onion, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 hamburger buns
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 butter lettuce leaves

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment